7:45a So, Day 1 and I completely forgot about my promise to challenge myself in my hazy wake up at 5:30ish this morning. That’s OK. I quickly caught myself by 7:15 on my way to work. I currently have my Outlook closed (#17) and my notifications on my phone are now silent (#29).
I am not preparing for my day. It is early and quiet in the office. Hopefully I can use this time to strategize my 30 Day Challenge. I am going to start with these two items to get my momentum going:
- Create/Follow a morning ritual. (#6)
- Create/Follow a relaxing bedtime routine. (#22)
11:30a It is now my lunch break, so I have a chance to transcribe my brainstorming session from this morning. Here are my plans for the first two challenge items:
MORNING RITUAL: this one is actually pretty straightforward for me. Because I am a mother to three small children, I naturally already have a routine in place. However, there is always room for improvement (i.e. maybe don’t hit the snooze from 5a – 5:30a…) For this challenge, I am committing myself to the following:
- Rise earlier – 5a.
- Journal for 20 minutes (#21)
- Meditate for 15 minutes (#2)
- Learn to enjoy solitude (#8)
- No email or social media. I am taking this a step further and adding no electronic devices before I leave for work. (#10)
- Be ready – showered and dressed – before the kids wake up for breakfast at 6a
- Eat breakfast with my kids
BEDTIME ROUTINE: this one will be slightly more difficult. We are currently in the middle of a home renovation project, so it causes our nights to be slightly chaotic. However, I will try to get this as close to “relaxing” as possible. I get home between 5:30p and 5:45p every night, so I am going to start there.
- Cook dinner and eat at the table. (we have a terrible habit of watching Wheel of Fortune during dinner – don’t judge… at least we eat together)
- Clean up the kitchen and wipe the counters down.
- Bathe the kids, then storytime. (no TV)
- Kids in bed at 8.
- 8-8:30 evaluate my challenge progress and update the blog.
- 8:30-9 read
- 9 – lights out!